Are you aware of the medical advantages associated with the stem cells that are retrieved from the umbilical cord? Are you looking to get some information on the process of donating “cord blood” present in the umbilical cord and placenta or pregnant women?If yes, thisblog will tell you everything that you need to know.
The extremely important and powerful stem cells collected from the umbilical cord can be helpful for medical treatment. Banking or preserving this cord blood will allow doctors to harvest it and treat conditions like cerebral palsy and cancer using the stem cells found in cord blood. Several countries are investing in research and preservation of cord blood with programs such as cord blood banking in Saudi Arabia 2017.
Some FAQ You May Have Relating To Cord Blood Banking
- What are the diseases that can be treated by stem cells?
- Haematological Stem Cell Disorders
- Acute Leukaemias
- Chronic Leukaemia
- Metabolic Disorders
There are almost 80 kinds of diseases that can be successfully treated using stem cells.
- How long can my baby’s cord be stored?
Stem cells stored at liquid nitrogen temperatures can theoretically be stored for 1,000 years, but cord stem blood cells cryopreserved can be used for up to 21-23.5 years.
- Can my child use his/her own cord blood stem cells for treatment?
In many cases, it can be seen that children can benefit from using their own cord blood stem cells. In cases where the child is suffering from cancer or other genetic disorders though, someone else’s cord blood stem cells have to be used for treatment.
- What are my options for storing and using my baby’s cord blood cells?
As a parent, you can decide what to do with the cord blood cells of your baby. Here are a few options you can choose from.
- You can collect and preserve your baby’s cord blood cells for future medical treatments for your family.
- You can donate your baby’s cord blood cells for the treatment of a third party. This is known as public
- You can also allow the hospital to discard of your baby’s cord blood.
- Is collection of cord blood risky or painful for me or my baby?
There is absolutely no risk or pain involved in the collection of your baby’s cord blood, as the cord blood is harvested only once it has been cut out from your and your baby’s body, which is done during normal delivery of a child.
- How can I donate cord blood?
If you are planning on donating cord,then you need to pay attention to the following points:
- You must contact a public bank and receive an approval and mail-in kit.
- You must register by your 34th week of pregnancy.
- You must pass a health screening test.
- What are the costs of cord blood banking?
- Roughly $30,000 is required for a patient to use cord blood stem cells for treatment. Family banks may charge $1300-$2200 for collection.
Like in other parts of the world, awareness about cord blood banking in Saudi Arabia has also increased in 2017. Selecting the right hospital is absolutely necessary in this regard. Renowned hospitals like Cryoviva Gulf now offer the excellent facility ofcord blood banking in Saudi Arabia. Cord blood banking is completely safe and very beneficial, not only to cure your own family member but to save millions of other lives as well.