India has witnessed an astonishing surge in the number of breast cancer patients in the recent years. According to breastcancerindia.net, the incidence of breast cancer has increased in the age group of 30 and 40-year old women. Earlier 69 per cent of the breast cancer patients were above 50 years but now this figure has reduced to 52 per cent. This means that now 48 per cent patients of breast cancer are below 50 years, which leads to a worrisome situation. Therefore, it has become more significant than ever to be
well educated on the causes, symptoms and stages of breast cancer to avoid it or at least identify it at a curable stage.
About breast cancer stages
The different stages of breast cancer are said to be based upon the malignant cell tumor size, be it expanded tumor cells affecting the other body systems beyond the breast or the affected lymph codes. The objective towards cancer staging is to segment the cancer level that gets affected by different factors. This is performed in cancer for better understanding of the possible outcome. Staging makes it easier for the specialists across the globe to specify the infection’s magnitude.
Stages of breast cancer
It is into four stages that breast cancer has been categorized into. A stage 0 is present that is specified to be non-invasive cancer related to breast tumors.
- Stage 1 : It is here that the infiltration of malignant cancer cells begins at the neighboring breast tissues. At this stage, the tumor is known to measure around 2 cm. There is no involvement of lymph nodes noticed. The survival rates of breast cancer at this stage are around 90%, survival or cure.
- Stage 2 : This stage of breast cancer is divided into 2 sub categories :
- The first type being no tumor present in the breast. However, it is located within auxiliary lymph nodes, measuring around 2 cm, not exceeding 5 cm.
- The second type is where there is identified within the breast, malignant cancer tumor that is not spread to auxiliary lymph nodes. Their growth could be within 2 cm to 5cmm. Survival rates here drops to about 60% with survival chances being about 5 year span.
- Stage 3 : It is at this stage that malignant cancer cells spread across the neighboring tissues located outside the breast region from auxiliary lymph nodes or the breast. During this stage, growth of tumor is over 5 cm.
- Stage 4 : It is the terminal stage, where there is mass spreading of invasive cancer cells towards other body organs. Survival rates at this stage of are about 10%.
The oncologist will study the patient and the breast stage that she is in, so as to effectively eliminate the cancer tumor quickly and in a painless manner. Hence, knowing the stages will help both the physician and patient to take adequate measures.
You are advised to consult the oncologists at Nanavati Hospital to understand how you can get tested for the breast cancer stage at their state-of-the-art facilities and take help of their best team of doctors to ensure a speedy recovery.